This may be the biggest “What’s Bruin” to happen yet as we missed yesterday and a whole bunch of Bruin’s related news cropped up.
Also there is plenty of random NHL assortment worth checking out.
- To start Peter Schaefer, Jeremy Reich, and Nate Thompson all cleared waivers. On re-entry Nate Thompson was claimed by the New York Islanders. As always, Fluto Shinzawa provides excellent analysis on the Islanders snatching Thompson [Boston Globe]
- Fluto Shinzawa also reports that Zach Hamil is going to going to have surgery on his thumb and will miss 4-6 weeks for the Providence Bruins. Due to this, Vladimir Sobotka has been assigned to the baby Bruins, as he does not have to clear waivers, and can be called up at anytime. Not really a surprising move, but somewhat of a tough break for Sobotka as he worked his ass off to make the big club. The upside is he will be playing top-six minutes in Providence with Hamil out, as opposed to being a healthy scratch with Boston. [Boston Bruins]
- Plenty of Aaron Ward news from yesterday. Ward’s stints, “Ward Wednesdays”, on the Toucher and Rich show on WBCN 104.1 FM started yesterday. I am hoping to get the audio from them up here at The Jumbotron, but until then Hub Hockey has you covered. [Hub Hockey]
- That media whore, Aaron Ward, has also started his own blog for this season. His first entry talks about the final day of cuts and what its like for the players. [Beyond the Blueline / Boston Bruins]
- Great Canadian MasterCard commercial with Bobby Orr. [Going Five Hole]
- Sarah Palin is dropping the puck at the opening home game for the Philadelphia Flyers. [Hockey Dump and Melt Your Face Off have worthy reads]
- As The Jumbotron has pointed out, the new NHL ad campaign “Is This The Year? is ripe for parody. [Razor with an Edge via Kuklas Korner]
- Versus seals their fate with the NHL by traveling down the same path as FOX. [Puck Daddy]
Enjoy the North American season openers tonight.